Thursday, February 5, 2009

Tech Narrative

I'm going to be honest and admit that this assignment kind of paralyzed me. I've been a bit outside my comfort zone lately, but this is... okay, I'm comfortable with hockey, this is figure skating. Unfortunately, this caused me to regress to an old bad habit: procrastination. This is the first time in quite some time it's caught me by surprise, though.
About a week and a half ago I outlined what I wanted to do here to a large extent. I knew I was outside my element so I decided I'd better get on the thing. The outline went well, real steady progress, and I think I honestly finished it in a night with some touch up the next day. I've done nothing of any substance since. I always try to put a day in between the outline (or any other draft, for that matter) and the next work I do, so about a week ago I opened up google's site editor.
And stalled. No, stalled isn't the right word. What is the right word for that sensation you feel when you run into a bit of an obstacle like a brick wall? I spent two sessions getting nothing done before I realized I wasn't getting anything done. Then I spent two sessions playing with backgrounds and colors and other such things which appear to get things done but in reality cloak the fact that you're not even trying. Now, by sessions, I'm talking about 2 hours or so fiddling with it before giving up, which is better than fifteen minutes in fortitude but a lot worse on the efficiency rating.
Last night I just opened up and admitted how stymied I was by this. I had to mentally readjust and realize I don't know enough about this to go for perfect. I backed up, reconsidered my thesis, changed it (from a general discussion of how machines annoy me to the much more focused WHY they annoyed me), then got back to work. I decided to go for a bare-bones approach to begin with then see what I liked and didn't about it in one last look. Unfortunately, that's what I'm putting back together today as what I had thought was saved was not, in fact, saved.

No comments:

Post a Comment